Posted on May 10, 2008 by Mercedes
January 1, 1997 – May 9, 2008
My beloved Patch has left us to wait for us at The Rainbow Bridge. We had to put him down yesterday evening. We agreed that it was time…that he shouldn’t suffer anymore. His liver enzymes were 850-not sure what that means but I do know they should be around 100. When we went to see him before doing it-he came out wagging his tail: so hard for me because I start to second-guess myself. Then as I am hugging him and talking to him (with his head pushed into my chest) he starts to vomit (just the liquids he had in him from the IV). This is so hard to write-It is Saturday morning and I should be walking him. I can’t seem to write anymore about this right now! I need to work on a eulogy and someday I will write more about the experience we went through while at the vet. It was a good thing considering what we had to do.
Thanks again to all of you for your thoughts, suggestions, prayers, and support! I so adore each and every one here for your love and dedication to your pets! They are our world and our children. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you!
Mad with barklove!
p.s. Just noticed the date on the pics-need to fix that on my camera-these were taken at the vet on 5-9-08.
Filed under: Animals, Dalmatians, Dog Health, Dog Poems, Dogs, Family, Inspirational, Memories, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Personal, Pet Health, Pets, Veterinarians | 53 Comments »
Posted on May 8, 2008 by Mercedes
Hello Blog Friends,
So sorry I haven’t been here to respond to comments or to post any Blog Karaoke! I am not in a singing mood right now! This is also me rambling on and I apologize in advance if it doesn’t make sense. It has been a rough night and I also just can’t seem to turn my leaky eyes off right now!
Filed under: Animals, Family, Inspirational, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Personal, Pets, Veterinarians, Voices | 14 Comments »
Posted on April 2, 2008 by Mercedes
Thursday Thirteen #6
This meme is hosted by Carol at Thursday Thirteen
13 Things~Patch Update
(Patch is my 11 year old dalmatian that has been “sick” for the last four months. Please read my Dogs Page to catch up on the history. He went to the Vet last Thursday and this is the update)
- Yearly Shots: Patch got his yearly shots
- Dental Work: He didn’t get his teeth/mouth cleaned because he had a slight fever and his blood work didn’t look to good.
- WBC: His WBC (white blood cell count) was high
- Anemic: Patch is anemic at this time-I can see it in him now: white lips & gums
- Weight:Patch weighed 58 pounds. He has lost 10 pounds since this started-but the Doc feels he should lose weight to help out the arthritis in his legs & back. The bad part is he has flabby places-lol.
- Bath-Nails-Flea & Tick Treatment: Patch did get his bath, nails trimmed, and his Revolution treatment. I told Doc C that I would just purchase Revolution monthly now-since I didn’t know what the future held for Patch . Doc C said this medicine had to be bought in bulk. I said, “hhhhmmmm I guess I could find someone that uses it and pass it on if I needed to”. He said, “I use it”. LOL
- Lab Work: Doc C had some more tests ran. He still thinks it could be a tick bourne related disease. He ran a test for canine ehrlichiosis. He said that even if the first test is negative, it is good to do a second test in case the first was a false negative. The biopsy of the lymph node suggested this, but said that correlation of the patient history and other findings ruled this out. Doc C also mentioned Cushings Disease and had more tests sent off for this.
- Meds: Doc C put Patch back on Tetracycline and he is now on Etodolac for pain. We also have Tresaderm drops to put on the sores on his ears-they are back. He has shown major improvement (not shaking) until today??
- Results: Patch is on the above medicine for 10 days and hopefully the results from all of the lab work will be in this Monday or Tuesday.
- Going back: Patch will go back for his dental work (we think this will help in some way-at least clear out all of that bacteria) after his results come back-hopefully.
- Walks:Patch has been limping terribly on & off all week.
- Car Rides: Patch’s favorite thing. For a week and a half Patch didn’t go for any rides except the one to the V-E-T. 🙂 He finally went for a ride yesterday and today-yippee! 🙂
- Price of Vet Visit: $355. Price of Patch’s unconditional love: Priceless!
(For some reason, I haven’t been able to bring myself to do this update sooner and I know I didn’t do a thorough job for myself-jut so much)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Memes: If you like to play, I am hosting two new memes (Scrumptious Sunday & Hump Day Humor) at my other site: Mercedes Rocks. These have finally been added to The Daily Meme! Woohoo! Please come on over and check it out! I would love to have you participate! Thanks!
Blog of the Week: Please visit my Spotlight Blog of the Week. You might be the Blog of the Week one week!
Filed under: Animals, Dog Health, Dogs, Family, Fun, Health, Lists, Memes, Memories, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Personal, Pet Health, Pets, Thursday Thirteen, Veterinarians | 18 Comments »
Posted on March 28, 2008 by Mercedes
Patch is going to the Vet again Friday morning. Jedd has to work, so my Dad is coming over after he gets off of work to take Patch to Doc C. I have the honors of going on a Field Trip to the movies to see Horton Hears a Who. This is my list I made for Dad to take to the Doc. I hope I have it all covered. For those of you that don’t know about Patch-he is my 11 year old dalmatian that has been going through some tough times these last four months. You can read my Dogs page to learn more.
Needs, problems, & thoughts
• Yearly Shots
• Teeth & mouth cleaned (horrible breath, drooling, & sores-we have thought this might be part of his problem)
• Is it possible for him to get a bath (no perfume) and nails clipped if needed-Today?
• Has hard time breathing and swallowing. He smacks and makes weird noises with his mouth. Could there be an obstruction in his throat and/or nose?
• Trembles/Shakes-at various times. He also will do this in his sleep and sometimes has a rhythm with his breathing.
• He has been blah for a week and looks like he is miserable.
• Sneezes often-but no blood yet.
• Hasn’t been for a car ride for a week (favorite thing to do, but can’t get into the car)
• Front legs (behind the “knees”)-noticed lumps/swelling of nodes possibly
• Limping (possibly arthritis-or could it be the lymph nodes/lumps behind the legs/knees?)
• Cipro made him sick-not taking it now
• Not taking the nerve meds either (I believe now that it is pain and not nerves)
• Has a knot on the right, back side of his neck
• Ears and Nose bother him and he scratches/ rubs them. (Wants to shake head often, but looks like it is difficult for him-thinking it could be the knot or the ears-not quite sure). I have continuously wondered if he has ear and/or nasal mites. Is there a test that can be done to check for these?
• Sores on body again and he continuously cleans/licks them and other places-creating more bad spots.
• We sometimes wonder if we should have just left him on Prednisone and Tramadol for pain even though we know Prednisone isn’t a good long term thing and Tramadol kind of made him wobbly. We understand arthritis and can handle that, but we feel there are other problems that we wish could be pinpointed.
*Medicine & Drugstore: Please do not copy/steal this post.*
Filed under: Animals, Dalmatians, Dog Health, Dogs, Family, Health, Lists, Medical, Memories, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Personal, Pet Health, Pets, Veterinarians | 10 Comments »
Posted on March 19, 2008 by Mercedes
Thursday Thirteen #4
The Price of Vet Visits since 12-03-07
(One or two visits and receipts are misplaced at the moment)
December 3, 2007: $38.00
December 6, 2007: $45.50
December 10, 2007: $289.50
December 17, 2007: $180.00
January 2, 2008: $32.00
January 25, 2008: $6.00
January 31, 2008: $42.00
February, 8, 2008: $156.00
February 19, 2008: $28.00
March 8, 2008: $57.00
March 13, 2008: $41.94
March 18, 2008: $74.29
The total cost of Vet visits: $990.23
The price of a dog’s unconditional love: PRICELESS!
Patch is my 11 year old dalmatian that has had numerous health problems in the last few months. He was incorrectly diagnosed with lymphoma. We switched Vets and found out through correct diagnosis (biopsy of a lymph node) that he doesn’t have lymphoma. Feel free to visit my Dogs Page to read Patch’s stories during this crazy roller coaster ride we have been on!
The point of this post isn’t really the money. It is the PRICELESS part!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
If you like to play memes, I am hosting two new memes (Scrumptious Sunday & Hump Day Humor) at my other site: Mercedes Rocks. Please come on over and check it out! I would love to have you participate! Thanks!
Reminder: If you belong to one of the following blogrolls, I have something for you: Yummy Blog Award. Blogrolls: A1 Dogs & 2 Cats, Blog Buddies, Blog Meme Peeps, Blog Party Peeps, and Bloggers = Fun!
more about memes
Filed under: Animals, Dalmatians, Dog Health, Dogs, Fun, Funny, Inspirational, Lists, Memes, Memories, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Personal, Pet Health, Pets, Thursday Thirteen, Veterinarians | 23 Comments »
Posted on March 12, 2008 by Mercedes
Had to Call Old Doc
As I had mentioned in my Sunday Seven Post, Patch has been having the shakes/trembles again. We took him to Doc C last Saturday, but Doc C wasn’t in. We saw Doc M. Anywho, I called New Vet Monday and Ms. C told me that both Docs have discussed Patch and said I could come in for an x-ray if I wanted to. I asked her, “Didn’t Old Doc do an x-ray of Patch’s nose”? She said that he did but they didn’t receive those results and that I would have to pick up the x-ray from Old Doc.
Great. This meant I had to call Old Doc. I called Doc H Monday afternoon. I called and Lady answered the phone. I asked her if Doc H had returned from surgery. She said yes. I told her that I thought he was going to call me back and asked if I could leave a message for him. She put me on hold and got him on the phone. Aaaaahhh.
So Doc H got on the phone. I told him about all of the confusion with the other Vet in his office: Her asking me if it ws B-Cell or T-cell, me calling back to talk to him and being told he wasn’t there, me asking about the B-cell or T-cell, being told other Doc didn’t know and she would have Doc H call me when he returned. Yada Yada.
I explained to him that I felt I had to get another opinion since I was getting questions from there that weren’t being answered and since he wsa out due to his own personal surgery. I told him New Doc did a biopsy of a lymph node and that it wasn’t lymphoma. He told me that they hadn’t done a biopsy of a lymph node (just the fatty tumor-now he explains it-lol) because it was a serious procedure. (Patch’s lymph node biopsy was easier than the fatty tumor biopsy-IMO). I told him that I need the x-ray so New Doc could analyze it. He said that was fine.
He was very nice. I asked him how he was recovering from his surgery and we chit chatted. This was hard. He is a family friend and has been with Patch for almost 10 years. I really didn’t want any hard feelings. He told me to let him know how everything goes and to keep him posted. Whew! Got that over with.
For those of you that may not know what is going on: Feel free to catch up on Patch or find out about Patch’s roller coaster journey by reading my Dog’s Page and reading the posts about Patch.
*I am way behind on replying to comments. This Blog Party and my daily memes are keeping me busy~besides my day to day craziness. I will try to catch up this week!*
Filed under: Animals, Dalmatians, Dog Health, Dogs, Family, Memories, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Personal, Pet Health, Pets, Veterinarians | 11 Comments »
Posted on March 9, 2008 by Mercedes
SUNDAY SEVEN #3
Update on Patch
(For those of you that don’t know the story: Patch is my 11 year old dalmatian who has been on a roller coaster ride for 3 months with various health issues and we still haven’t quite figured out what is going on. If you would like to catch up on the story, just visit my Dogs Page and read the posts about Patch.)
- Patch does not have lymphoma at this time. We are going to a New Vet~Doc C, who is closer to us and is wonderful! He actually biopsied a lymph node (necessary for true diagnosis of lymphoma) and determined it isn’t lymphoma~woohoo!
- Patch is not taking prednisone (for swollen lymph nodes) or tramadol (for pain)anymore. He is now on tetracycline for infection. He will be on it for two more weeks.
- His lymph nodes are not swollen at this time. He has fatty skin hanging around in weird places~possibly where the nodes were swollen~it looks kinda funny.
- Patch has been shaking/trembling again. That is how all of this started. He has been doing this since last Wednesday night. When he does this it is so pitiful because I don’t know what I can do to help him.
- We took Patch to the Vet on Saturday. It was snowing out and I wasn’t going to drive, but the lady had an appointment available for after Jedd got off of work. We went there but Doc C wasn’t there~I forgot to mention to her that he has been seeing Doc C. So we saw Doc M. He wasn’t sure what to do or what had been going on. Anywho he gave him a non-steroid shot to see if it would help.
- Patch was still shaking last night and today. Last night, I laid in bed with him to try and comfort him. I was going to start reading Dear John by Nicholas Sparks, but I was in a sad mood for Patch and the book started out sad~I had to put it down. I just laid there with Patch rubbing and hugging on him.
- I will be contacting Doc C in the morning. I am thinking he might want to keep Patch for a little while and if he does they want Patch there between 8:00 – 10:00 a.m. Jedd works both mornings. I might have to call Dad and have him break away from my Granny for a bit. I sure wish we could pinpoint what is going on. I am going to mention/ask Doc C if we need to do any x-rays or ultrasounds.
I love Patch so much! I am thankful that he has stayed with us through Christmas, New Years, His birthday, Valentine’s Day, and Jedd’s birthday.
more about memes
More Sunday Seven
Filed under: Animals, Dalmatians, Dog Health, Dogs, Lists, Memes, Memories, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Pets, Sunday Seven, Veterinarians | 8 Comments »