Posted on August 16, 2008 by Mercedes
Prayer request needed:
More prayers needed for M! My cousin, M-20 years old, has been battling renal cell carcinoma for 6 years! He has his eighth (I think) major surgery on Monday. He is at the Children’s Hospital in Cincinnati, OH. It is a 12-14 hour surgery and they will be attempting to remove 3 tumors-one the size of a football. They might have to remove his colon, bladder, and prostate! I am praying they DO NOT have to! Last summer, they thought they might have to remove his colon, but prayers worked and they did not have to. I believe in the power of prayer!
For those that know what is going on….this is what has happened since my last prayer request. They visited the hospital in Cincinnati. He had to be put back in the hospital in Chattanooga for a few days for pain. He has a pain pump and they had to put a catheter in last week. My aunt has become an instant nurse-bless her. My aunt and uncle will be staying with him in OH for at least two weeks. My aunt sounds positive about this team of doctors and says that they are wonderful with reconstructive surgery if needed (prayers needed that he doesn’t need this). M’s girlfriend went too, but she will have to return sooner. M’s younger brother is in college in Chattanooga and will be staying home. M’s youngest brother is in high school and is staying with M’s girlfriend’s family! They are wonderful! Last summer was the longest recovery time for M-one week. This surgery will take at least 2 weeks recovery time! M has completed 2 years of college, but college will be put on hold this semester. I will hopefully update you sooner this time…after his surgery on Monday! Praying Now!!!
Posted by Mercedes at Mercedes’ World and only for Mercedes’ World
Filed under: Cancer, Family, Health, Kidney Cancer, Personal, Prayers, Renal Cell Carcinoma | 16 Comments »
Posted on April 2, 2008 by Mercedes
Thursday Thirteen #6
This meme is hosted by Carol at Thursday Thirteen
13 Things~Patch Update
(Patch is my 11 year old dalmatian that has been “sick” for the last four months. Please read my Dogs Page to catch up on the history. He went to the Vet last Thursday and this is the update)
- Yearly Shots: Patch got his yearly shots
- Dental Work: He didn’t get his teeth/mouth cleaned because he had a slight fever and his blood work didn’t look to good.
- WBC: His WBC (white blood cell count) was high
- Anemic: Patch is anemic at this time-I can see it in him now: white lips & gums
- Weight:Patch weighed 58 pounds. He has lost 10 pounds since this started-but the Doc feels he should lose weight to help out the arthritis in his legs & back. The bad part is he has flabby places-lol.
- Bath-Nails-Flea & Tick Treatment: Patch did get his bath, nails trimmed, and his Revolution treatment. I told Doc C that I would just purchase Revolution monthly now-since I didn’t know what the future held for Patch . Doc C said this medicine had to be bought in bulk. I said, “hhhhmmmm I guess I could find someone that uses it and pass it on if I needed to”. He said, “I use it”. LOL
- Lab Work: Doc C had some more tests ran. He still thinks it could be a tick bourne related disease. He ran a test for canine ehrlichiosis. He said that even if the first test is negative, it is good to do a second test in case the first was a false negative. The biopsy of the lymph node suggested this, but said that correlation of the patient history and other findings ruled this out. Doc C also mentioned Cushings Disease and had more tests sent off for this.
- Meds: Doc C put Patch back on Tetracycline and he is now on Etodolac for pain. We also have Tresaderm drops to put on the sores on his ears-they are back. He has shown major improvement (not shaking) until today??
- Results: Patch is on the above medicine for 10 days and hopefully the results from all of the lab work will be in this Monday or Tuesday.
- Going back: Patch will go back for his dental work (we think this will help in some way-at least clear out all of that bacteria) after his results come back-hopefully.
- Walks:Patch has been limping terribly on & off all week.
- Car Rides: Patch’s favorite thing. For a week and a half Patch didn’t go for any rides except the one to the V-E-T. 🙂 He finally went for a ride yesterday and today-yippee! 🙂
- Price of Vet Visit: $355. Price of Patch’s unconditional love: Priceless!
(For some reason, I haven’t been able to bring myself to do this update sooner and I know I didn’t do a thorough job for myself-jut so much)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Memes: If you like to play, I am hosting two new memes (Scrumptious Sunday & Hump Day Humor) at my other site: Mercedes Rocks. These have finally been added to The Daily Meme! Woohoo! Please come on over and check it out! I would love to have you participate! Thanks!
Blog of the Week: Please visit my Spotlight Blog of the Week. You might be the Blog of the Week one week!
Filed under: Animals, Dog Health, Dogs, Family, Fun, Health, Lists, Memes, Memories, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Personal, Pet Health, Pets, Thursday Thirteen, Veterinarians | 18 Comments »
Posted on March 28, 2008 by Mercedes
Patch is going to the Vet again Friday morning. Jedd has to work, so my Dad is coming over after he gets off of work to take Patch to Doc C. I have the honors of going on a Field Trip to the movies to see Horton Hears a Who. This is my list I made for Dad to take to the Doc. I hope I have it all covered. For those of you that don’t know about Patch-he is my 11 year old dalmatian that has been going through some tough times these last four months. You can read my Dogs page to learn more.
Needs, problems, & thoughts
• Yearly Shots
• Teeth & mouth cleaned (horrible breath, drooling, & sores-we have thought this might be part of his problem)
• Is it possible for him to get a bath (no perfume) and nails clipped if needed-Today?
• Has hard time breathing and swallowing. He smacks and makes weird noises with his mouth. Could there be an obstruction in his throat and/or nose?
• Trembles/Shakes-at various times. He also will do this in his sleep and sometimes has a rhythm with his breathing.
• He has been blah for a week and looks like he is miserable.
• Sneezes often-but no blood yet.
• Hasn’t been for a car ride for a week (favorite thing to do, but can’t get into the car)
• Front legs (behind the “knees”)-noticed lumps/swelling of nodes possibly
• Limping (possibly arthritis-or could it be the lymph nodes/lumps behind the legs/knees?)
• Cipro made him sick-not taking it now
• Not taking the nerve meds either (I believe now that it is pain and not nerves)
• Has a knot on the right, back side of his neck
• Ears and Nose bother him and he scratches/ rubs them. (Wants to shake head often, but looks like it is difficult for him-thinking it could be the knot or the ears-not quite sure). I have continuously wondered if he has ear and/or nasal mites. Is there a test that can be done to check for these?
• Sores on body again and he continuously cleans/licks them and other places-creating more bad spots.
• We sometimes wonder if we should have just left him on Prednisone and Tramadol for pain even though we know Prednisone isn’t a good long term thing and Tramadol kind of made him wobbly. We understand arthritis and can handle that, but we feel there are other problems that we wish could be pinpointed.
*Medicine & Drugstore: Please do not copy/steal this post.*
Filed under: Animals, Dalmatians, Dog Health, Dogs, Family, Health, Lists, Medical, Memories, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Personal, Pet Health, Pets, Veterinarians | 10 Comments »
Posted on March 21, 2008 by Mercedes
I have had some various things going through my mind and instead of posting about each one, I just thought I would ramble on about them. I talk out loud, ask questions out loud, and often answer back-lol. This is me just rambling out loud! Feel free to comment, leave feedback, and leave suggestions. Have a great weekend & Happy Easter!
- Tonight: I just went to get Jedd something to eat. It is a beautiful night! The moon is awesome! That is why Easter is this Sunday: The Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Solstice. I just saw a cool bumper sticker: God answers “Knee-mail” 🙂
- Internet Browser: I am using Mozilla Firefox now. I have tried it before, but I am a creature of habit, so I went back to Internet Explorer. I decided to try it again, because some blogs at blogspot load slow and I thought I would test out the difference. WOW! What a difference. I have fallin’ in love. I just got to get the hang of it. What internet browser do you use?
- Laptop: I have been wanting a laptop for some time now. I am really ready to purchase one now. Jedd has found something else to do on the computer, which is cutting into my computer (blogging) time-lol! Any suggestions on what kind to purchase or what I really need to have loaded on it?
- Memes: I have recently found some more cool blogs by participating in memes! I love participating in memes! Check my What are Memes Page to learn more. Do I need to continue to post a link to more about memes on my memes posts? Has it been helpful?
- NaBloPoMo: I am participating in NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) for the month of March. The theme is lists. I haven’t followed the theme every day (isn’t required) but I have posted every day. I am going to participate in April too. The theme is letters-won’t be following the theme for that much-I don’t think. I have been posting a NaBloPoMo Button at the bottom of each of my posts. I am not going to do that anymore. I have the badge in my sidebar and I have NaBloPoMo as one of the categories/tags.
- Mr. Linky: I have been using Mr. Linky where bloggers can add their links to their posts that relate to my posts (usually memes). I was going to stop using this and just let bloggers comment and find them through their comments, but a blogger commented today and I couldn’t find her through her link there. Thank goodness she left her link with Mr. Linky. I finally found her. So using Mr. Linky is still up in the air.
- Death in the family: My Dad’s cousin was just diagnosed with terminal cancer. He passed away yesterday morning. Bless him and his family!
- Tims Ford State Park: I will be going to Tims Ford State Park this weekend. My aunt and her family (from Signal Mountain, TN) have a cabin there for the weekend. I’m not sure if the whole Gunsmoke Gang (Matt, Dillon, Marshall) will be there or not. Matt is my 19 year old cousin who is battling renal cell carcinoma and has been for 5 years. I hope to see him there.
- Dad: Dad came over today and visited me. He also washed 3 loads of clothes.I napped more than visited-oops! He had a good visit with his grandchild too: Patch. I’m glad he came over! I love my Dad! He is awesome!
- Patch: Patch isn’t doing good right now. We went to the Vet this week and Doc C took him off of the antibiotic and put him on Cipro. I have read that Cipro is not FDA approved for dogs. He has gotten sick twice this week shortly after I have given him this horse pill. He has been so blah this last week. His sores are coming back-in the same places. He also is shaking/trembling again-which is how the whole thing started. He has been licking more spots on him and creating more sores. Aaaaahhhh! I just don’t know what to do. I had planned on having his yearly shots the first week of April (Spring Break) and also having him sedated to have dental work done. I may have to do this sooner. I still wonder if he has ear and/or nasal mites. I am going to ask the Doc to do scrapings and look under the microscope. Doc C says the skin problems are an autoimmune disease. He is also on an anxiety med which supposedly doesn’t take effect until after a few weeks of taking. But what is making him sick? Please view my Dogs Page to read more about my 11 year old dalmatian who got sick at Thanksgiving. He was mis-diagnosed with lymphoma and correctly diagnosed with not having lymphoma. We just need a correct diagnosis on what in the world is really going on! Thanks so much for your continued support, thoughts and prayers! WOOF!
Memes: If you like to play, I am hosting two new memes (Scrumptious Sunday & Hump Day Humor) at my other site: Mercedes Rocks. Please come on over and check it out! I would love to have you participate! Thanks!
Reminder: If you belong to one of the following blogrolls, I have something for you: Yummy Blog Award. Blogrolls: A1 Dogs & 2 Cats, Blog Buddies, Blog Meme Peeps, Blog Party Peeps, and Bloggers = Fun!
Filed under: Animals, Blogging, Cancer, Dalmatians, Dog Health, Dogs, Family, Friends, Health, Lists, Memes, Memories, NaBloPoMo, Patch, Personal, Pet Health, Pets, Random Ramblings, Renal Cell Carcinoma | 8 Comments »
Posted on February 19, 2008 by Mercedes
Finally~I have received the results of Patch’s biopsy. For those that don’t know what is going on: Please see my Dogs Page to read posts about Patch and the up and down roller coaster ride we have been on. Patch in Review really sums up this roller coaster ride. I am going to show you the read out from the lab. There are many terms I do not understand and I will link these terms to my Internet research. This is Chinese to me. I hope you can understand this-LOL!
Description: The submitted lymph node is infiltrated by macrophages and the paracortex and medullary cords are expanded by medium to high numbers of plasma cells. Multifocally, infiltrates of low to medium numbers of neutrophils are also present.
Diagnosis: Lymph Node: Lymphadenitis, granulomatous, diffuse, moderate, with multifocal suppurative inflammation.
Comments: The submitted specimens was most consistent with granulomatous lymphadenitis. The cause was not evident. The low numbers of neutrophils might also have supported pyogranulomatous inflammation that is a finding associated with canine ehrlichiosis. Correlation with the patient history and other clinical findings is suggested to rule out that condition. I did not find any neoplastic lymphoid cells, but continued close observation of this patient would be prudent. A fair and good prognosis is suggested.
Also~during more research, I have found that there are numbers of reasons dogs have enlarged lymph nodes~not necessarily lymphoma. IMO-just like humans. The diagnosis is much better than the first diagnosis we received: lymphoma. At this point, it IS NOT lymphoma! Patch is OFF of the Prednisone and has been for almost three weeks. Doc C and many others said not to give him Ibuprofen anymore. Patch took Ibuprofen for the very first week this sickness started. Doc also said not to give him Tramadol right now either. Patch has been off of it for a week. Doc C prescribed an antibiotic, Tetracycline-100mg, to take twice a day for three weeks. I just want to call Old Doc and ask him some questions, but I believe I will leave it alone. Your thoughts on this?
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers during this wild and crazy journey. We really appreciate it and you mean so much to us! I am still researching this because it is really confusing to me. I will add links when I find more. I would appreciate any feedback or more info anyone has on this diagnosis.
Filed under: Animals, Dalmatians, Dog Health, Dogs, Family, Health, Patch, Pet Health, Pets, Veterinarians | 18 Comments »
Posted on January 1, 2008 by Mercedes
Today is Patch’s “unofficial” birthday. I acquired him 10 and 1/2 years ago. He was a stray…and strayed right to me…and we’ve been together ever since.
The Doc gave him an approximate age and I gave him a birthday! He is 11 years old today! He is doing much better now. He doesn’t shake or cry in pain. He is wobbly~not sure if it is arthritis or the meds. He takes 1 20mg of prednisone a day and 1 50mg of tramadol twice a day. Thanks to everyone for all of your thoughts and prayers! Happy New Year Patch…and Happy Birthday to you too! I love you! WOOF!
Filed under: Animals, Dalmatians, Dog Health, Dog Tumors, Dogs, Family, Health, Inspirational, Memories, Patch, Personal, Pets | 7 Comments »
Posted on December 21, 2007 by Mercedes
I have been wanting to post about my cousin, Matt, for some time. It is such a long story and I didn’t know where to begin. First things first: This is a story about my cousin Matt. His two brothers are Dillon and Marshall-too cute huh? They are the Gunsmoke Gang!This story will be told in parts since it covers a five year span.
Matt loves to play soccer. He and his younger brother, Dillon, have played all of their lives. When Matt was 14 years old (five years ago) he was playing indoor soccer. He got slammed into a wall during the game. He went to the restroom and was throwing up. Some parents that were at the game that are also EMT’s told my aunt (Matt’s mother) she should take him to the hospital-something was wrong. They live in Signal Mountain, TN which is near Chattanooga, TN. They went to Erlanger in Chattanooga.
It was discovered that Matt had a tumor on his kidney. The doctors removed one of Matt’s kidneys. We-the family-thought this accident was a blessing in disguise: found out there was a tumor on his kidney and removed the kidney. Of course the tumor ruptured-but the family never thought about that part at the time. His diagnosis was renal cell carcinoma~kidney cancer. This cancer is mostly common in males over age 40. What is going on here? A 14 year old child? So confusing!
I immediately began researching renal cell carcinoma, and at the time didn’t realize how serious this cancer was~since he had the kidney removed and for some reason I blocked out the part of the tumor bursting. Anywho-Matt is a trooper and he is so strong!
To be continued…
Filed under: Cancer, Children, Doctor, Family, Health, Inspirational, Kidney Cancer, Memories, Personal, Renal Cell Carcinoma, Tumor | 1 Comment »