Good Evening. My name is Mercedes, and I *am* a dogaholic.
I would like to welcome all of you to this month’s meeting of “Dogaholics Anonymous”. Some of you are here tonight because a friend or relative brought you here. You may be sitting here thinking that you are o.k. and that you really don’t need any help. It is not easy to admit that you are a dogaholic and it is even harder to bring yourself to a DAA meeting for help. DAA is here to assist you.
I have some questions to ask you:
1. Can you say “bitch” in public without blushing?
2. Do you drive a station wagon, van, or 4×4 when everyone else drives a real car?
3. Do you have more than one car? One for you and one for the dogs? Patch has his own car~The Patchmobile (it’s my old 2004 Sentra)
4. Do you spend your vacations and holidays going to shows, specialties, and seminars when everyone else goes on a cruise?
5. If you do go overseas, is it to London in March to attend Crufts?
6. Do you discuss things at the dinner table that would make most doctors leave in disgust? Most definitely
7. Do you consider formal wear to be clean jeans and freshly washed tennis shoes? You know it
8. Is your interior decorator R.C. Steele? No~JOF: Just Old Furniture-lol
9. Was your furniture and carpeting chosen to match your dogs? No, but it sure isn’t anything fancy or new-lol
10. Are your end tables really dog crates with tablecloths thrown over them?
11. Do you know the meaning of CD, CDX, UD, CGC, HIC, WC, JH, MH, Ch, and OTCh? See my answers below
12. Is your mail made up primarily of dog catalogs, dog magazines, and premium lists? A lot of it is, along with teacher stuff too
13. Do you get up before dawn to go to Training Classes? Dog Shows? Seminars? No~just to WTD~Walk the Dog
14. If you do have dresses, do they all have pockets?
15. Do those pockets often contain freeze dried liver, Rollover, or squeaky toys? We just keep a bag of treats in Patch’s car
16. When you meet a new person, do you always ask them what kind of dog they have and pity them if they don’t have one? Of course
17. Do you remember the name of their dog sooner than you remember their name? Uh-huh-huh~Yes
18. Do you find yourself referring to people as “Rover’s Mom” or “Rover’s Dad”? Oh yes. My Aunt was asking my cousin’s child (4 years old at the time) about me and she looked confused~then she said, “Oh, you mean Patch’s Mom”?
19. Do you find non-dog people boring? Sometimes
If you answered “YES” to one of the above, there is still hope. If you answered “YES” to two, you are in serious trouble. If you answered “YES” to three or more, you have come to the right place.
My advice to all of you who answered “YES” to three or more questions is to sit back and smile, turn to the smiling person next to you and know that your life will always be filled with good friends and good dogs, and it will never be boring.
CD=Campanion Dog; CDX=Companion Dog Excellence (AKC-CKC); UD=Utility Dog; HIC=Herding Instinct Certified; CGC=Canine Good Citizen (AKC ); WC=Working Certificate; JH my Dad’ initials-lol~Junior Hunter (AKC); MH=my intials-lol ~Master Hunter (AKC); Ch=Champion; OTch=Obedience Trial Champion (AKC-CKC)