SUMMARY OF PATCH
Symptoms~sickness~vet visits~diagnosis’~and my ramblings
(I created this document to take to the New Doc)
- Thanksgiving 2007: Patch is sick. He begins trembling/shaking (assumed it was pain)
- VET-Monday, December 3, 2007: Doc H
- Said Patch has arthritis/pinched nerve in back
- Gave him shot for pain and prescribed one 200mg ibuprofen a day
- (Nose was slightly bleeding but I thought it was where Patch “fixes” his bed with his nose)
- Monday night and Tuesday: nose is bleeding more and more when Patch sneezes
- Wednesday: Patch is sneezing violently and blood is spewing out
VET-Thursday, December 6, 2007: Doc H was out-saw Doc R
She said might be something lodged in his nose or maybe grass seed…possibly a tumor
She prescribed Clavamox-said try first because Patch won’t like tests they might have to do
Friday, December 7, 2007: Called Doc H to make sure of what to do-Patch wasn’t doing too good. Doc H said to continue Clavamox (powerful meds) and try to tough it out over the weekend and call on Monday. He also said Patch could take two 200 mg ibuprofen a day.
- VET-Monday, December 10, 2007: Patch still isn’t better and now has sores on his legs/feet where the bones/joints are. He has already been through staph a few times. Doc H at 8:30 a.m.
- Called Jedd at 10:30 a.m. and Jedd tells me: “Patch has fatty tumors-Doc H said the one on his neck had grown the size of a golf ball. Has to have x-rays, biopsy of fatty tumor, blood work and a scope in his nose”
- Tests performed that day:
- Anesthesia injection-telazol
- X-Ray Basic – what did it show?
- CBC with differential
- Histo/Blasto Lab
- Tick Serology Panel
- Jedd brings Patch home and he says: Doesn’t look good…he mentioned a mass in his neck. I’m not sure if he meant another mass or the fatty tumor.
- Doc H prescribed one 20mg prednisone a day along with the clavamox-no more ibuprofen
Following few days: Patch seems to be doing better. Nose isn’t bleeding as much. Still having trouble getting around: arthritis? pinched nerve? medications? Sickness? Does he have various health problems all at once? He seems to have a hard time swallowing and breathing
Friday, December 14, 2007: Doc H calls at 4:30 p.m. and tells me this
Histo/Blasto test negative
The “thing” in his nose is a tumor (cancer)
Wants Patch to come in on Monday so he can biopsy sores and biopsy the growth on his lymph node (I thought he said lymph node)
Surgery in his nose is really not an option-due to the severity and Patch’s age
- VET-Monday, December 17, 2007: Doc H
- Biopsy of shoulder/neck area (shaved with incision)
- Biopsy of sore on foot (bandaged)
- Continue prednisone
Next few days: Patch seems to be doing worse-incision oozing and more sores with bleeding, still sneezing with blood. He mainly sneezes when he goes outside. Isn’t jumping on bed or getting in car (favorite thing to do). Hard time going up and down stairs. Some difficulty breathing and swallowing.
Friday, December 21, 2007: I called Doc H and he says:
Sores are not cancerous-just don’t know what they are
Tumor (is it a tumor, fatty tumor, tumor on lymph node?) on neck is not cancerous and still waiting on another test result on it.
Tumor in the nose-can’t really biopsy it-too difficult and shouldn’t put Patch through it
Patch has been in a lot of pain-stayed up two nights with him crying in pain-he couldn’t lay down.
Doc H called in Tramadol for pain-50 mg pills-can give one or two twice a day-we give one 50mg Tramadol twice a day.
Next few days: Patch has diarrhea. Not sure if it is from the sickness, the meds, or the food we switched him to (canned food)-he was having a hard time swallowing hard food. We switched the food again to chewy kibbles and that seemed to fix the problem. Still sneezing with bloody nose. He is jumping on beds now.
I called Vet back to see if the last test result came back and lady said results are the same-what does that mean?
Thursday, December 27, 2007: still has sores
- VET-Wednesday, January 2, 3008: Doc H-5th visit in a month
- Confirmed it was lymphoma
- We had felt spots in his neck that were growing (lymph nodes)
- Doc H felt behind legs and in groin area where more lymph nodes are and confirmed growth there too
- He also felt Patch’s spleen and liver and informed us they are enlarged too: what does that mean? Shouldn’t an X-Ray be performed to diagnose enlarged spleen and liver?
- Patch has lost 5 pounds in the last month
The following week: Patch improves tremendously. No more nose bleeds-sores are healed up-jumps on beds and goes up and down stairs fine-is getting in car and riding now-walks us instead of us walking him-playing with his babies. I am still confused: Why doesn’t Doc H persuade me to seek an oncologist-maybe because of his age. When I research lymphoma there are different types. Patch has enlarged lymph nodes, something wrong with his nose, and skin problems. Are these all related? What does it mean if his spleen and liver are enlarged? Gotta get a second opinion.
Thursday, January 17, 2008: Patch can’t poop. He goes out every 15 minutes and gets in position but can’t poop. I was up with him all night doing this. He did vomit once-outside-thought that might help-didn’t.
- Friday, January 18, 2008: Called Doc H-spoke to a lady-told her about Patch’s no-poop situation.
- She said to put grease on his food-bacon-vegetable oil.
- She said Doc H was going to have surgery-two hernias-he would call if he could
- Doc R-other vet there-called me that afternoon
- I asked her: Why hasn’t Doc H told me to pursue other treatments? Is it the stage of the disease? Is it because of Patch’s age? Cost?
- She explained that I could pursue other treatments but there isn’t a cure and treatments can be costly and have side effects too (went into more detail)
- Then she asks me: Is it B Cell or T Cell? I don’t know. I told her when she found out to let me know.
Next few days: Did the vegetable oil and it worked. Patch can poop now. Researched more. Studied prednisone and prednisolone. Should Patch be on prednisolone instead since prednisone can be hard on the liver and his liver is enlarged? Whatever that means? Called Vet back and asked was it B Cell or T cell. The lady said that Doc R looked at the tests and she couldn’t read them (she is the one that asked me about this and put the question in my head). Lady said when Doc H checked in he would look again and let me know. I have not heard from them since.
Monday, January 28: Called new vet-Doc C
VET-Thursday, January 31, 2008: Doc C-1st visit:
No test results of cancer or lymohoma (went into great detail describing the tests and results) We decided to do the following:
stop prednisone and take antibiotic-come back in a week to biopsy a lymph node (necessary to truely diagnose lymphoma)
- Following Week: Patch is snorting more (not really sneezing)-has had a hard time taking pills a couple of times. Wednesday and Thursday: seems to not be feeling so good. Got sick Thursday night.
- Some difficulty breathing (throat?)
- Has a few sores and two dark spots in lower abdomen/groin area
- What kind of diet should he be on?
- Breath and teeth look and smell horrible (had them detailed-cleaned last year I believe) possibly medication?
- Friday, February 8, 2008: Doc C-biopsy of lymph node and any other tests necessary…to be continued
Praying for Patch now~going in the morning to have a biopsy.
*edited 2-10-08: Continuation~See: Crazy Friday